One of our absolute favorite meals is burritos. In the past ~6 months, Mike and I have been perfecting our recipe and now we're ready to share the deliciousness with you.
- 1 chicken breast
- 3/4 c. rice, uncooked (prepared according to package directions)
- 2-3 c. diced veggies (here we used a combo of green pepper, squash, zucchini, corn, eggplant, and onion)
- taco seasoning
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
Here are the specific brands we use:
Got this big guy at Costco for ~$3. Amazing deal, especially since the individual packets of seasoning are ~$1 and this is the equivalent of like 25 packs
We eat a lot of mexican so a HUGE container of salsa was totally necessary. This is Safeway brand and it's really good!
I used to get those healthy-ish whole wheat sandwich wraps for our burritos. Then one day I ventured into the "international" aisle of the grocery store and found these guys. SO MUCH BETTER THAN SANDWICH WRAPS. Get them. You won't regret it.
1. Coat chicken breast in taco seasoning (~1 T) and bake, grill, or fry. We baked ours at 350 for 30 mins.
2. While chicken is cooking, prepare rice according to package directions.
3. While chicken + rice are cooking, dice up all the vegetables. Heat ~2-3 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced vegetables, salt, pepper, and ~2 T taco seasoning. Sautee for 5-10 mins or until veggies are cooked.
[PS totally forgot to add the frozen corn here. We ended up microwaving it in a little cup on the side and adding separately to our burritos! Just pretend that we included it in this pan ;) ]
4. Once chicken is done, dice/shred it up. If you want, add a little more taco seasoning. We added about another 1 T? Then add the chicken into the vegetable mixture.
5. Once rice is done, fluff with a fork and add ~.5T taco seasoning if desired.
6. Now it's time to prepare your burritos! Microwave tortillas for 20 seconds on high to soften them. I like cheese (and Mike doesn't! TRAVESTY) so I slice up some cheddar (too lazy to use the grater) and microwave it on there. Then layer rice, veggie/chicken mixture, salsa, and avocado into the tortilla. (notice the random corn addition- oops) I like to fold mine over like a quesadilla and eat it with a knife and fork. Soooo good :)
6a. Is it confusing that I named this post "burritos" yet don't actually eat it like a burrito? hmm...
7. The other awesome part of this recipe is that it makes enough for leftovers for lunch the next day! We layer rice & veggies (& cheese for me) in a tupperware. Then we mush up the leftover avocado with some salsa (aka lazy girl's guacamole!) and add it after reheating the burrito mixture.
This recipe is totally customizable. Use any veggies you have in the fridge. If you want it vegetarian, use scrambled egg or kidney/pinto/black beans as the protein! Or if you want to be super fancy, use steak. Mix up the toppings, too! Use sour cream (or plain greek yogurt- tastes just the same, I swear) or queso or pico de gallo... endless possibilities.