Lately, I've been struggling with meal planning. I think it's because the BF and I are living together for the first time; now I feel like I need to make fancy, grownup food for every meal. That is silly though, since he could totally care less about what he eats. This guy can eat the same thing for every meal and not get tired of it. Men are so strange. So, in mostly an effort to jog my own brain, [and partly an effort to share ideas with you ;) ] here are a list of my favorite cheap and easy meals.
- BBQ Shredded Chicken: Place desired number of chicken breasts in slow cooker. Pour BBQ sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 8ish hours or high for 4ish hours (so precise, I know). Shred the chicken. Serve in tacos, over rice, on a bun, by itself... possibilities are endless.
- Mexican Shredded Chicken: Same recipe as above; substitute salsa and/or taco seasoning.
- Mexican Egg Burrito: Sautee diced vegetables/beans of choice (ex. green pepper, onion, zucchini, squash, eggplant, carrots, kidney beans, etc) with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning over medium-high heat. While veggies are cooking, scramble 1-2 eggs. Serve eggs and vegetables in a tortilla with salsa, avocado, cheese, and plain greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream, seriously!)
- Scrambled eggs and toast: self-explanatory.
- Grilled peanut butter and jelly: also pretty self-explanatory. Make a PB&J and toast it in a pan over medium heat. Or in a toaster oven, if you are fancy like that! You can add butter to each side to toast it up nicer. Or do it without; it works both ways.
- Turkey, avocado, and tomato sandwich: on toasted bread, layer sliced turkey, sliced tomato, some sort of lettuce (whatever you have on hand- we usually have spinach or kale), avocado and drizzle balsamic dressing on top.
- Pasta & Sauce: you can just do pasta and plain sauce, or sautee some vegetables and add to the sauce; can also class it up with scrambled egg (don't knock it til you try it), chicken, chick peas, ground turkey/chicken/beef, etc.
- Tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad: by themselves, on a sandwich, or on a salad.
- Quinoa Stir Fry
I also try to keep fresh vegetables (carrots, green pepper, cucumber, etc) and frozen veggies (green beans, peas) on hand at all times so that if we get lazy and decide to have PB&J for dinner, at least I can add some sort of vegetable and feel a little healthy ;)
What are your go-to meals when you're feeling lazy? Please share, I love getting more ideas!!