I really like snacks. Real meals are cool too, but snacks are the best part of my day. In my less frugal days, I stocked up on granola bars and protein bars- I always had a box or two on hand for snack time. "They're healthy so it's worth it!" I would tell myself as I ignored the $5+ price tag for a box of 6 bars.
But the granola bar urge will never strike again, friends. I've found a super awesome and delicious recipe that will replace granola bars in your life FOREVER!
Replacement Granola Bars
adapted from Peanut Butter Fingers' No Bake Oatmeal Nut Butter Balls
- 1/2 c. nut butter (I use peanut butter here, but you can use any combo of nut butters, chunky or smooth, that you like)
- 1 c. old-fashioned oats (raw)
- 1 T chia seeds (these are not necessary- see below)
- 1/8 c. flour
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 3 T honey (in the pics I put the honey in a 1/3 c. measuring cup since I was out of tablespoons and wanted all the ingredients to be in the picture so I could be all fancy-like. It came out to be about 1/6 of a cup)
Note: I adapted this recipe to suit my cheapness. Julie uses ground flaxseeds- but I definitely don't have those on hand. I took a guess that it was used as kinda a binding agent.... so I tried a little flour and that did the trick! Also, regarding the chia seeds: they do give it a good texture, but seriously, if you don't have them, you don't need them for the recipe. We happened to have a bag from Mike's parents on hand! When those run out, I'll just make the recipe without.
ALSO: I just tried it with brown sugar instead of honey. Just as delicious!
1. Measure out ingredients and dump all into a big mixing bowl. Mix together. Yup, that's it.
Julie's recipe recommends rolling into 12-14 balls. I, however, am lazy. I put the mixture into an old cottage cheese container (stylish) and we eat it with a spoon whenever we're hungry :)
Store the mixture in the fridge.
Next time you're in the market for an easy snack- try this. It's cheaper and healthier than a box of granola bars! And it's boyfriend approved: Mike said it was one of the best things he's ever eaten. Seriously.
Do you keep snacks in the house?
I generally don't like to because I eat them all very quickly...