I've been sitting here for about 10 minutes trying to come up with an intro to this post.
Seriously. What kinda intro can you give to a post about salad? NOTHING, evidentially.
Instead, you get numbered bullet points.
1. Salads at restaurants are delicious, but REALLY FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE. Why are you charging me $12 for a bowl of lettuce, two slices of cucumber, and half a chicken breast?
2. Mike and I recently decided that we should expand our usual rotation of meals (burritos, stir fry, spaghetti, pizza) by including some salad. We discovered that making your own salads is surprisingly easy and cheap!
3. You should do it too.
4. Exhibit A: last week's creation...
Cheap(ish) Salad Bar Fixins:
- lettuce (duh)-- we used "spring mix"... not really sure what that includes but it was good!
- frozen corn (defrosted)
- frozen peas (defrosted)
- cherry tomatoes
- hard boiled egg
- green pepper
- canned kidney beans (here's why I don't cook my own beans...)
- canned beets
- + dressing! I tried Trader Joe's champagne vinaigrette and it is the BOMB.com
Oh and I also had some leftover egg salad so I threw that on top! It was good.
Moral of the story: making your own salad bar will make you feel very healthy and also it isn't super expensive so you should do it ASAP.
Update! I've started making salads for lunch every day to bring to work- check out with how I make a whole week's worth of salads at once!
What's your favorite salad topping?
I'm a big fan of baby corn. And beets. And sunflower seeds!